[Tutorial] How to fix permission and user/group problem on CyberPanel.

Hi, today I got a case user uploaded files via SFTP , which caused permission and user group problem with PHP

so if files were uploaded by SFTP , or unzipped by SSH command , the files are owned by root:root , which PHP user will have permission issue.

so how do we fix it ?

1. prevent it happen , use file manager to upload and extract , you can use SFTP to upload ,and then use file manager to extract , that way won’t have permission issue.

2. if files are already in place , and you want to fix this issue.

run
ls -l /home/your-domain/public_html

to check if the issue is indeed caused by permission and owner.

in this example , files are owned by root , which is a problem.

now find out the right user for them

ls -l /home

as you can see in screenshots , in this example , the site own of “test.cyberpanel.net” is named “testcyb” and in group “testcyb”

so now we can run this command to change the owner

chown -R testcyb:testcyb /home/your-domain/public_html

and remember repeat first step to double check if the owner is successfully changed

Another tip: Use su testcyb before unzipping or performing actions using SSH. It’ll log you to user’s ssh account and file permissions will also be under him!

@jetchirag said:
Another tip: Use su testcyb before unzipping or performing actions using SSH. It’ll log you to user’s ssh account and file permissions will also be under him!

lol , thansk , Linux experts XD

Will this be fixed in the next updates? I think this is a huge issue

@ricardofh said:
Will this be fixed in the next updates? I think this is a huge issue

This issue is addressed, there will be a one-click fix permission in Filemanager, a package will be available to upgrade/download soon.

Thanks @usmannasir! Will there be a litespeed optimization or something? for being litespeed site load a bit slow (compared to litespeed for cpanel for example)

Are you referring to control panel side or normal websites on the server?

null
Normal websites

Your filemanager issue is fixed: http://docs.cyberpanel.net/doku.php?id=change-log

@usmannasir

I recently installed cyberpanel on GCP as FTP is not working properly I used SFTP access by adding SSH key to cyberpanel & enabling root login.

But now I am unable to update WordPress plugins as their is some file permission issues, I am getting below message when I try to update plugins:

Update Failed: The update cannot be installed because we will be unable to copy some files. This is usually due to inconsistent file permissions.

I have tried to change file permission from file-manager but it’s not working & any Idea how to resolve the issue.

I managed to fix the issue using the tutorial method when I switched to root user, before was getting stuck at [ ls -l /home ] command. GCP doesn’t offer direct login as root.

Thanks.

I try install Mautic in cyberpanel, my VPS is GCP, but error see https://prnt.sc/scc2kf … how to fix it? thank

did not work in my case

If you tried this and got operation not permitted.

“chown -R testcyb:testcyb /home/your-domain/public_html”

[note: testcyb is from the example above would be the user owner of that site]

Then try this:

“chattr -V -i -R /home/your-domain/public_html”
[To remove the invisible locks]

followed by

“chown -R testcyb:testcyb /home/your-domain/public_html”
[To give back permissions to your folder]

Then go to fix permissions in cyberpanel file manger and refresh/restart litespeed.

Might not be everyone’s situation, but worked for me.
Hope this saves you a cup of coffee.

@frankpanduh → chattr -V -i -R /home/your-domain/public_html it worked like a charm for me… @qtwrk PLease add this line in case anyone faces any errors while chowning… “chattr -V -i -R /home/your-domain/public_html”