Some Dont's After Installing CyberPanel!

Hello!

After installing CyberPanel there are somethings that you don’t want to do for having a smooth experience.

Don’t upload files via SFTP

Note: Don’t use SFTP as root to upload files, you can use website level user to upload files via sftp, more details here.

When you upload files via sftp they are owned by root, and CyberPanel runs each account through its own user, so once you have uploaded content via root, you might start getting permissions errors. More details can be found here.

Even though file manager now has one-click fix permission button to get rid of this issue, but this is still not a recommended way to upload content.

The recommended way is to use File Manager and FTP. They both use the same user as which scripts are executed for a particular site.

Changing MySQL Ports

If you want to change MySQL port, kindly update following part of a settings file.

The settings file is located at /usr/local/CyberCP/CyberCP/settings.py (Update the port part)

DATABASES = {
    'default': {
        'ENGINE': 'django.db.backends.mysql',
        'NAME': 'cyberpanel',
        'USER': 'cyberpanel',
        'PASSWORD': 'cyberpanel',
        'HOST': 'localhost',
        'PORT':''
    },
    'rootdb': {
        'NAME': 'mysql',
        'USER': 'root',
        'PASSWORD': 'cyberpanel',
        'PORT': '',
    }
}

Once done, run

systemctl restart lscpd

MYSQL Password

If you change MySQL root password also update this file with updated password:

/etc/cyberpanel/mysqlPassword

Then you also need to update root password in settings file /usr/local/CyberCP/CyberCP/settings.py. Insert new password at new root password here

'rootdb': {
        'NAME': 'mysql',
        'USER': 'root',
        'PASSWORD': 'new root password here',
        'PORT': '',
    }
}

Finally also update root password in /home/cyberpanel/.my.cnf. If this file does not exist, you can skip.

After doing all these steps, make sure to run systemctl restart lscpd

This article is still a work in progress.

I suggest removing this section:

accessControl  {
    allow                 127.0.0.1, localhost
    deny                  0.0.0.0/0
  }
  1. Without it, the attacker still can not access the filemanager without login.

2. If you use it, when users want to use reverse proxy will cause error filemanager

@duy13 said:
I suggest removing this section:

accessControl  {
  }
  1. Without it, the attacker still can not access the filemanager without login.

2. If you use it, when users want to use reverse proxy will cause error filemanager

It applies to .filemanager context only, without this file manager api can be accessed.

@usmannasir said:
It applies to .filemanager context only, without this file manager api can be accessed.

I mean you should allow from all IP

accessControl  {
    allow                  0.0.0.0/0
  }

@duy13 said:

@usmannasir said:

I mean you should allow from all IP

accessControl  {
    allow                  0.0.0.0/0
  }

File manager API will be exposed to public then.

@usmannasir said:

accessControl {
allow 127.0.0.1, localhost
deny 0.0.0.0/0
}

Did you mean, that is the only protection method of “file manager api”?
So if I attacked a share hosting site on the CyberPanel server, through which I could contact the “file manager api” (because I was querying from localhost), and “file manager api” did not ask me Any authentication as long as I query from localhost?
So, can I access Filemanager of any website hosting share on CyberPanel if I own one website located on the same server?
And when you enable the “Use Client IP in Header” function, you will also be prevented from accessing Filemanger
Failed to load resource: server responded with a status of 403 (Forbidden)

This issue is now resolved in CyberPanel 1.6.3. You can upgrade using this guide: https://forums.cyberpanel.net/discussion/85/how-to-manually-upgrade-downgrade-cyberpanel

@zimou13 said:
Got it running this time, tried the first time and apparently it ran out of ram even if nothing else was running and it was over the min, 512MB ram. Reinstalled and enabled a swap portion and the script ran fine. Where’s the ssl certificate stored for the control panel, want to upload my own valid ssl certificate for it. Edit: would be nice if there was a option to manage ssl after creating the website, like options to upload my own ssl certificate and for auto creation with Let’s Encrypt (which was nice that you added that). I also can’t find a option to create a admin user, only reseller or normal users, it exist in the modify option, just not during creation. One last thing that would be nice is setting up resource quota for users so users can’t take up all of it for themselves. But overall, this is a really well done panel, love how it looks.

SSL Certs are stored at

/usr/local/lsws/conf/vhosts/SSL-example.com/

We have Administrators and Normal users only, Reseller is not available now. You should be able to create administrators and normal users.

From website control panel you can also save your customs SSLs too without going into command line.

Still can not access Filemanager if you use a reverse proxy as Cloudflare, CDN, Sucuri…

@duy13 said:
Still can not access Filemanager if you use a reverse proxy as Cloudflare, CDN, Sucuri…

The update addresses the security issue in the File manager, I do not understand your issue?

@CyberPanel said:

@duy13 said:

The update addresses the security issue in the File manager, I do not understand your issue?

When you use a reverse proxy such as Cloudflare for a domain,

Openlitespeed blocks incoming IPs from Cloudflare or Real IPs of visitors to Filemanager because of the following configuration:

accessControl  {
  }

Because Openlitespeed recognizes the real Ip of the visitor (It is not 127.0.0.1):

I want to ask how the mechanism upload a file by Filemanager like?
You do not upload the file directly (size 100MB or more) to a direct IP of the server?
Instead, it will not upload directly to the IP of the server but via a Domain name, For example: web7.example.com/.filemanager/,
So you will upload the file through the Reverse proxy of the domain: web7.example.com, I think this is a bad idea. Because I go directly to the server’s IP https: //x.x.x.x: 8090 but when I upload a file it goes through a Reverse proxy?

The file will go from me → to the Cyberpanel Server IP → and to the Reverse Proxy Server (Because domain is using Reverse proxy) → then back to the Cyberpanel Server IP
This is disaster, I think people will always want to upload files directly from them to the IP of the server.

accessControl  {
  }

You can remove this part if you need since File manager does additional checks now. It is supposed to work this way to follow Suexec pattern, otherwise, if we run this as root, file and folders uploaded are owned via root and there can be other security issues.

Should After Installing CyberPanel bro

Should After Installing CyberPanel bro

I am sorry?

I remove the example.com vhost, how can i create it again?

I remove the example.com vhost, how can i create it again?

If you only removed configurations from Webadmin then you can paste following at the end of: /usr/local/lsws/conf/httpd_config.conf

I assumed you have not removed Example vhost mapping from the listener.

virtualHost Example{
    vhRoot                   $SERVER_ROOT/Example/
    allowSymbolLink          1 
    enableScript             1 
    restrained               1 
    maxKeepAliveReq
    smartKeepAlive                  
    setUIDMode               0 
    chrootMode               0 
    configFile               $SERVER_ROOT/conf/vhosts/Example/vhconf.conf
}

Then restart OpenLiteSpeed

systemctl restart lsws

quite a useful post there. i somehow messed up my mysql ports. followed your steps and now it’s all fine. can we use costom ports for local network?

This issue is now resolved in CyberPanel 1.6.3. You can upgrade using this guide: https://forums.cyberpanel.net/discussion/85/how-to-manually-upgrade-downgrade-cyberpaneltv

Thank you for the share. Resolved.

Can you check why demo site on cyberpanel.net returns error 500?

Is it safe to auto update daily using yum-cron?