Authentication problem with snappy-mail

I configured website, email, SSL (via GUI Let’sEncrypt),reverseDNS - but still have auth problem. :frowning:

Keep getting on snappy-mail GUI: “Authentication failed Server message: AUTHENTICATIONFAILED Authentication failed.”

The log of dovecot.service: "auth[20319]: pam_unix(dovecot:auth): check pass; user unknown,
pam_unix(dovecot:auth): authentication failure; logname= uid=0 euid=0 tty=dovecot [email protected] rhost=::1
"

search in all the web for DoveCat, snappymail-admin config, and pam mangement, and didn’t solve it.

P.S - running on hostinger, ubuntu 20.04.

Please help!

What is the full log off dovecot?

How to get it?
(by tapping “doveadm log errors” → it seems to be empty).

Try check on /var/log

on cat /var/log/mail.err

I get:
"
dovecot: doveadm: Fatal: This is Dovecot’s fatal log (1658597697)
postfix/proxymap[20301]: error: open /etc/postfix/mysql-virtual_mailboxes.cf: Permission denied

postfix/smtpd[22185]: fatal: no SASL authentication mechanisms
postfix/proxymap[22498]: error: open /etc/postfix/mysql-virtual_forwardings.cf: Permission denied
postfix/proxymap[22498]: error: open /etc/postfix/mysql-virtual_domains.cf: Permission denied
postfix/proxymap[22498]: error: open /etc/postfix/mysql-virtual_mailboxes.cf: Permission denied"

( but from couple hours ago - I enabled & disable postfix - maybe it related)

on: cat /var/log/auth.log
i get:
auth: pam_unix(dovecot:auth): authentication failure; logname= uid=0 euid=0 tty=dovecot [email protected] rhost=::1

Have log called dovecot.log?

Unfortunately No. :frowning:

Can you check who own folder /home/vmail/?

I don’t have that folder.

But for /var/mail those are the permissions:

drwxrwsr-x 2 root mail 4096 Aug 21 2020 /var/mail

Sorry i didnot get the notification.

Base on this uid=0 this is mean root.

Can you check /etc/dovecot/conf.d/auth-passwdfile.conf.ext under userdb and args section and post it here.

Can you elaborate how to check it?

the content of the file is:

# Authentication for passwd-file users. Included from 10-auth.conf.
#
# passwd-like file with specified location.
# <doc/wiki/AuthDatabase.PasswdFile.txt>

passdb {
  driver = passwd-file
  args = scheme=CRYPT username_format=%u /etc/dovecot/users
}

userdb {
  driver = passwd-file
  args = username_format=%u /etc/dovecot/users

# Default fields that can be overridden by passwd-file
  #default_fields = quota_rule=*:storage=1G

# Override fields from passwd-file
  #override_fields = home=/home/virtual/%u
}

I’m trying to look at

/etc/dovecot/users

but there it’s not exist.

furthermore those are the permisssions for the directory of /etc/dovecot:

drwxr-xr-x   4 root root     4096 Jul 23 18:33 .
drwxr-xr-x 111 root root    12288 Jul 23 18:33 ..
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root       49 Jul 23 19:53 cert.pem -> /etc/letsencrypt/live/meta-read.com/fullchain.pem
drwxr-xr-x   2 root root     4096 Jul 23 11:27 conf.d
-rw-r--r--   1 root root     4711 Jul 23 17:51 dovecot.conf
-rw-r--r--   1 root root     1024 Jul 23 18:33 .dovecot.conf.swp
-rw-r-----   1 root dovecot  1507 Jul 23 18:33 dovecot-dict-auth.conf.ext
-rw-r-----   1 root dovecot   852 Jul 23 18:33 dovecot-dict-sql.conf.ext
-rw-r-----   1 root dovecot  5824 Jul 23 18:33 dovecot-sql.conf.ext
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root       47 Jul 23 19:53 key.pem -> /etc/letsencrypt/live/meta-read.com/privkey.pem
drwx------   2 root root     4096 Jul 23 18:33 private

I’ll like to mention that also when I try to connect with other client such as Thunderbird I get error message of probably wrong configuration/username or password. :exclamation:

@ayobpro Any idea?

@ayobpro :frowning: ?

Sorry, my gc broken and i dont have backup pc. Did you install postfix when installing CyberPanel? Because there should be /home/vmail folder.

postfix set-permissions

sudo postfix set-permissions
/usr/sbin/postconf: warning: /etc/postfix/master.cf: undefined parameter: mua_sender_restrictions
/usr/sbin/postconf: warning: /etc/postfix/master.cf: undefined parameter: mua_client_restrictions
/usr/sbin/postconf: warning: /etc/postfix/master.cf: undefined parameter: mua_helo_restrictions
/usr/sbin/postconf: warning: /etc/postfix/master.cf: undefined parameter: mua_sender_restrictions
/usr/sbin/postconf: warning: /etc/postfix/master.cf: undefined parameter: mua_client_restrictions
/usr/sbin/postconf: warning: /etc/postfix/master.cf: undefined parameter: mua_helo_restrictions
/usr/sbin/postconf: warning: /etc/postfix/main.cf: undefined parameter: virtual_mailbox_limit_maps
/usr/sbin/postconf: warning: /etc/postfix/main.cf: unused parameter: virtual_create_maildirsize=yes
/usr/sbin/postconf: warning: /etc/postfix/main.cf: unused parameter: virtual_maildir_extended=yes
/usr/sbin/postconf: warning: /etc/postfix/main.cf: undefined parameter: virtual_mailbox_limit_maps
/usr/sbin/postconf: warning: /etc/postfix/main.cf: unused parameter: virtual_create_maildirsize=yes
/usr/sbin/postconf: warning: /etc/postfix/main.cf: unused parameter: virtual_maildir_extended=yes
chown: cannot access '/usr/sbin/sendmail.postfix': No such file or directory

Yes I installed, with the script wizard.
I can see that the system recognize “POSTFIX”, and also there it mentioned in the PANEL.

However - I had to install manually dovecot (since I got error " Can’t connect to host “tcp://localhost:143”"

It’s unclear to me what’s going on, since I just installed Cyberpanel via the github script on fresh UBUNTU 20.04.
:see_no_evil: :speak_no_evil:

oh just the slight detail of “I manually installed dovecot”. Yeah, I mean, I see how you could get authentication issues with that.

It’s because I got error from the regular installation of Cyber-panel script on Ubuntu 20.04

What can be the problem? How can I overcome this? Maybe to go on UBUNTU 18.04?

I think the first thing you’ll learn really fast in linux is that you just can’t install/reinstall stuff expecting things to workout, it’s not like windows where you just reinstall excel or something. We can help with an installation error of something we know, cyberpanel install, but some manual installation? There’s like hundreds of configuration for dovecot. I have a ubuntu sever 20.04. It’s just frustrating, you try to help people, they give you basically no logs, and then 10 messages deep “oh yeah, btw, I manually installed that stuff, not sure if it’s relevant”.

As I mentioned I manually Fixed the installation of dovecot, since it didn’t succeed straight forward from the cyber-panel script on VANILLA UBUNTU.

I followed the exact commands from - How to Host Your Own Email Server (for free) - YouTube,
but got the messages that I mentioned above.

So I think it’s different story from what you wrote above.
Bottom line what do you suggest?

(BTW I’m using linux for 14+ years as my default OS, and I usually can work it out (after tweak or two)).