The same domain for website and e-mail

Hi,
Can I use the same domain for the website and email server?
At the moment my website is phonesrescue.co.uk and my email domain is mail.phonesrescue.co.uk. It makes problems with TLS certificates:

Cert VALIDATED: ok
Cert Hostname DOES NOT VERIFY (mail.phonesrescue.co.uk != phonesrescue.co.uk | DNS:phonesrescue.co.uk | DNS:www.phonesrescue.co.uk)
So email is encrypted but the host is not verified

I have my own certificates for the website and mail server, but I am not sure how to install it.

Welcome @phonesrescue Happy you are here

Yes but its best to have separate certificates for both cases.

To issue custom mailserver ssl certificate go to https://SERVER_URL/websites/phonesrescue.co.uk/mail.phonesrescue.co.uk and add ssl

To secure multiple subdomains with same ssl certificate? phonesrescue.co.uk and mail.phonesrescue.co.uk

What you need is a Wildcard ssl certificate.

Check this out to add wildcard ssl certificate for your website.

Hi Joseph,
Thank you for your response.
A wildcard certificate is much more expensive than I expected :roll_eyes: So I bought two certificates separately, for phonesrescue.co.uk and mail.phonesrescue.co.uk
I tried your solution:

1. Added SSL certificate from mail.phonesrescue. co.uk for mail.phonesrescue.co.uk on https:/MYCYBERPANEL/websites/phonesrescue.co.uk/mail.phonesrescue.co.uk
  2. Restarted Postfix and Dovecot

Issues:

1. Error on the checktls.com:
    Certificate #1 of 3 (sent by MX):
    Cert VALIDATED: ok
    Cert Hostname DOES NOT VERIFY (mail.phonesrescue.co.uk != phonesrescue.co.uk | DNS:phonesrescue.co.uk | DNS:www.phonesrescue.co.uk)
    So email is encrypted but the host is not verified
  2. When I try to setup SMTP on Mail App on the MacBook:
The identity of “mail.phonesrescue.co.uk” cannot be verified.
The certificate for this server is invalid.
  1. All my sent emails are going to the spam folder.

I do not have any idea how to set up this properly. Can it be a problem with DNS? I use Cloudflare if it is any difference.

Another question: Can I insert the Chain certificate instead of Normal domain certificate in CyberPanel website settings?

The error is clear that you have issued same ssl certificate to phonerescue.co.uk and mail server domain.

Post a screenshot of your CF dns table

My DNS data:

The following records should not be proxied :orange:

mail.phonesrescue.co.uk
phonesrescue.co.uk

it seems that you SSL for mail server is issue but not mapped

run these commands
postmap -F hash:/etc/postfix/vmail_ssl.map
systemctl restart postfix

1 Like

It works!
Thank you so much!