Almalinux vs RockyLinux vs Ubuntu 20.04

thankyou…
i will try alma :slight_smile:

I’m not so sure that is true, and if it is then I’m not sure that all of the articles related to Ubuntu are always giving the best solutions and best practices.

Both Debian based distros, e.g. Ubuntu and RHEL based distros, e.g. AlmaLinux are secure, stable and work well. In most cases you won’t notice big differences in performance, support, etc. whichever you choose.

I do agree that migrating servers full of existing sites can be a pain between one and the other, so it’s normally much easier to pick one or the other and then stick with it.

1 Like

actually my production server still using cpanel and cwp
my cyberpanel only use for small client. thats why i think i have a time to choose between ubuntu or alma…

since my last cyberpanel migration not make me happy but after this build 2 it’s look better.
so before i made my decision to migrate my customer to cyberpanel, i want to make sure everything is going well from the OS/Distro, prosedure for migration (with script and/or without script)
CMS migration
everything :slight_smile:

1 Like

Cyberpanel is the best choice in the opensource segment. I have used CWP and its too old design + lot of bottleneck issues. Also it doesnt support Openlitespeed.

You can stop paying the hefty fees of cPanel and instead spend those amount on opensource developers to contribute on adding new things in cyberpanel which will benefit the whole community who are using cyberpanel as their hosting panel.

3 Likes

of course that was my plan…
but still some feature was not available
and perhaps will not available

1. catcha-all email
  2. forward email without create inbox
  3. forward domain mail
  4. awstats

right now im trying to find out the solution lol
because i know CP+OLS will not have those feature

As I said previously, cyberpanel is a free opensource panel and anything can be added, modified according to your requirements if you know programming code or you have a dedicated developer with you.

By default cyberpanel added rainloop as its default mailbox controller because rainloop is secure and very light weight. You can use other mailbox controllers too if you know how to do or assign any developer to do this task. Once done, you can share the codes/package with the community too.

2 Likes

i agree
and i understand about cyberpanel concept
there is no contradiction about that

thats why i said. i try to find the solution by my self
:slight_smile:

1 Like

I liked your explanations there, I’m going to test this system you mentioned, AlmaLinux, I’m already installing it on the VPS, I’ve spent many months with CyberPanel installed on Ubuntu 18.04 and 20.04, but lately it started to give problems when generating SSL automatically. Greetings from Brazil

2 Likes

I installed Alma Linux and installed CyberPanel on it, no comparison with Ubuntu, performance much better and much more stable, balanced ram usage and in ubuntu I was using 10% more

1 Like

Yes, Almalinux is comparatively faster than ubuntu

1 Like

I have only been working with webservers for under a year now and have only used Ubuntu so far - how much different are the commands etc… with RHEL distros like Almalinux?

Given that we have Cyberpanel to handle most things, I don’t do much from the CLI other than install and update packages, and modify some config files with nano and sed.

Would I have much difficulty transitioning to Alma?

Edit: Nevermind - Im giving up after 30 minutes of trying to do relatively basic things. Various packages don’t exist at all, for others I have to track down alternative repos, and config files are in different locations etc… I’m sticking with Ubuntu.

2 Likes

Yeah, many things are different. It will not be an easy journey though.

Ubuntu wins now …

I you look carefully then you will find that creator of AlmaLinux is CloudLinux (CL), a not free distro! So, it is not possible Alma will eat CL, in other words: the maker will not create Alma better or equal as CL.

Alma must be less feature/performance than CL.
Alma must be slow while apply any fixing things than CL.

Otherwise people will not buy CL every month :smile:

So, I hope CyberPanel focuss on Ubuntu instead.

Entirely wrong!

Cloudlinux is not a standalone OS and its just a package created on top of OS.
This CL package needs RHEL based OS to work. It was using Centos as base and now that Centos was dead, they required alternate OS to continue with Cloudlinux or else Cloudlinux will die due to outdated base OS (which was centos until then).

This is the reason they started Almalinux so that they can use it as base OS and continue with Cloudlinux sales.

Apart from what @die2mrw007 said, there is also the fact that CloudLinux does not own AlmaLinux. Yes, they did start the project but the development and governance has been taken over by an open source foundation since then. CloudLinux have no control over the governance of the AlmaLinux foundation, although they are still financial sponsors.

1 Like