Hello everyone

• Rocky Linux
  • AlmaLinux
  • Ubuntu 20.04

0 voters

Vote for your favorite OS.

thanks.

3 Likes

So far Almalinux and Ubuntu is a tie. If they continue to tie, I don’t think there is a need for official support of Almalinux.

1 Like

I think it is very important to support most used OS and not focus on just one, because this will make CyberPanel more popular and available for more OS, at least for one of the alternatives to CentOS like Almalinux or Rocky linux.

5 Likes

Even a tie means equal interest and hence should be supported in my opinion.
There should be atleast 1 RHEL based OS support for general mass as majority comes from CentOS who are into web hosting business. The reason is obvious as CentOS was largely used by web hosting companies.

6 Likes

Almalinux is already winning now :smiley: @die2mrw007

1 Like

Please let Ubuntu win. I love it :innocent:

I voted for Ubuntu (of course) and AlmaLinux but I’m afraid the backers of Alma may go the same commercial way as Centos/RHEL in the future.

1 Like

Its registered under open source license and they cannot change the license at later stage. Also they have already mentioned in their official website that it will be forever free:

Free Linux OS for the community, by the community

An Open Source, community owned and governed, forever-free enterprise Linux distribution, focused on long-term stability, providing a robust production-grade platform. AlmaLinux OS is 1:1 binary compatible with RHEL® and pre-Stream CentOS.

RHEL based OS are proven to be more stable, efficient and secure.

I’m afraid @usmannasir will change his mind if Alma wins. He said “Ubuntu is the future for CyberPanel.
I’ve been in RHEL based for a long time and I started to love Ubuntu, build new Ubuntu server for CyberPanel.

I plan to maintain a supported Almalinux branch because too many people asking for it. We already have the code I just need to review and run tests.

3 Likes

Just installed alma, its gonna be exciting

Complete!
Run dnf distro-sync -y                                                OK
Restoring of alternatives is done                                     OK
Generating grub configuration file ...
done
All Secure Boot related packages which were released by not AlmaLinux are reinstalledOK

Migration to AlmaLinux is completed
[root@cyberpanel-alma ~]# 
4 Likes

Are you going to be providing the exact same support in terms of testing etc? If not, I would be inclined sticking with Ubuntu because I think the most important thing for end users to make sure CyberPanel works with the ideal OS.

1 Like

The focus will be to support same level of stability on both OS.

4 Likes

this will not happen as they already have Cloudlinux but there is another GAME I’m sure they will do in 2023 , remember this well … :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

that’s great step forward congratulations @usmannasir , and I wait topic from you show all what’s benefits of using Alma or topic show Ubuntu vs Alma from Technical View :slight_smile:

CyberPanel installation is already working on Almalinux. I am just running tests and making sure everything is working as expected.

2 Likes

@usmannasir ver.2.1.2 ? or there is an update ?

It works very fine for me without issues. I am running production sites on my cyberpanel almalinux server since many months now. Its proven very stable and robust for me.

And thank you for considering support to Almalinux officially.

I really look forward to the support from AlmaLinux and want a relatively stable platform for production.

1 Like

I’ve enabled Almalinux installation through the main install script. However still my testing is not yet completed. Will also update install docs to reflect it.

4 Likes

@usmannasir we need your opinion too :wink: which one you really think is better specially from side of Security and Performance? :sunglasses: