2 - Master/Slave PowerDNS Replication on CyberPanel

CyberPanel version v1.8.5 and above have ability to configure CyberPanel as either PowerDNS Master or Slave. For more details visit [changelogs](https://community.cyberpanel.net/t/change-logs/161). In this guide we will see how to configure CyberPanel as Master or Slave.

Step 1: Configure Glue Records/Private Nameservers

Before configuring CyberPanel, you need to register Glue Records (some registerars call them Private Nameservers or hostnames) at your domain registrar. You can read this article for more details.

In this tutorial we assume that:

• ns1.cyberpanel.xyz - 192.168.100.1 (Is your Master DNS server)
  • ns2.cyberpanel.xyz - 192.168.100.2 (Is your Slave DNS server)

Configure them accordingly on your domain registrar using this guide.

Step2: Install CyberPanel on both Servers

Install CyberPanel on your Master and Slave servers.

Step 3: Configure Master CyberPanel

Once CyberPanel is installed, log in to your CyberPanel dashboard and navigate to β†’ :8090/manageservices/managePowerDNS

It gives you option to configure up to 3 slave servers. However we are going to configure only one. From dropdown select Master.

Slave Server 1 β†’ ns2.cyberpanel.xyz (Your value here will be different according to your slave server).

Slave Server IP β†’ 192.168.100.2 (IP of your slave server).

Once done, click Save Changes, your master is now configured. You need to configure your slave so that it can accept DNS queries.

Step 4: Configure Slave CyberPanel

Log into your slave CyberPanel dashboard and navigate to β†’ :8090/manageservices/managePowerDNS

Here you will enter two things:

Slave Server β†’ This is name of slave server such as ns2.cyberpanel.xyz

Master Server IP β†’ Don’t confuse it with Slave IP, you need to enter IP of master server here.

Once done click Save Changes.

Step 5: Confirm Replication is Working

Once all of the steps above are completed, open your Master CyberPanel and create website, now go to your CyberPanel Slave and make sure zone is replicated there.

On slave you can also use this command to make sure that Master CyberPanel is sending notifications to slave about newly created DNS zones:

journalctl -f | grep pdns

i’m just confused, cause i’d only 1 IP, which is that IP cyberpanel used. should i still manage powerDNS ?

No need. Just use same IP for both ns1.xxx.xxx and ns2.xxx.xxx in your dns records.

1 Like

thanks dude, actually i had 2 IP DNS with PTR record and in the same IP segment (installed on other VM), that DNS used for my internet service client, can i use it for my cyberpanel name server ?

Powerdns wont interfere with you internet service dns. You can still use cyberpanel powerdns for your domain resolving and keep your clients internet service at the same time. So yes you can use it as your secondary dns. As directed in this guide.

how if i dont use powerDNS? it will be ok?