Upgrading MariaDB manually

Hi,

So if I upgrade the cyber panel will the MariaDB get upgraded to 10.6? or will I need to install it afresh?

You can try run the upgrade and let us know. As per @usmannasir , updating Cyberpanel should also upgrade MariaDB. If it doesn’t then that means that’s a bug that needs to be fixed.

@deewinc Hi,

So I upgraded to the latest version of cyperpanel and I can confirm that the MariaDB version did not change.

1 Like

So basically @usmannasir should fix this.

Guys, we will take this over.

Will revert with updates.

2 Likes

We need an old server which have the mariadb old version to upgrade that and check if there is any issue in that @deewinc @Shaz96 @p4trk @zaku @halbertech anyone have this?

I have 2 but both have active websites running for other people, is that a problem? @shoaibkk

We can create a snapshot of any of those servers and work on it, rather then using your production node.

@shoaibkk

Send me instructions on what to do, remove sensitive data and give you access and I can do it all today or this weekend :slight_smile: whatever I can do to help! @usmannasir @shoaibkk

Happy to help!

1 Like

I confirm i have same problem, upgrade cp doesn’t upgrade mariadb

What is the meaning of “key for the MariaDB”

Hi, @shoaibkk @usmannasir

Any updates on a potential fix?

So I tried the MariaDB method spelled out by @lmilani verbatim. Somehow, it installed MariaDB Version 11.2 instead of 10.11 which was specified in Step 4.

Everything seems to be working fine. In fact, everything, and I mean everything is 3x faster including Cyberpanel, Wordpress and my other PHP programs too.

Question is … Is there any real reason I should downgrade MariaDB back down to 10.11 … or should 11.2 work fine from here on in? Are there any known incompatibilities? or any other reason everyone isn’t upgrading to MariaDB version 11.2?

Hello @usmannasir, I have two servers with Cyberpanel + Add-ons, one of which with MariaDB 10.3 and the other where I installed MariaDB 10.11 LTS already before the installation of Cyberpanel (by modifying the repository).

Do you plan to include an automatic update of MariaDB in the next Cyberpanel updates?

I would feel safer if this was handled by Cyberpanel’s automatic updater rather than doing an upgrade manually.

In this case, how would it behave with my two installations of MariaDB: one at version 10.3 (standard) and one at version 10.11, do I run the risk of something going wrong on the server where I installed MariaDB10.11?

I’ve just completed the code of following upgrades on Ubuntu 22 and working fine for our sites

10.6 -> 10.11
10.6 -> 11.2.2

But the problem is MySQL update is bit tricky and it may not work out in all use-cases.

@morphinestyle For your 10.3, maybe you can snapshot the server and give us access to see if it can safely upgrade to 10.11 or 11.2 as well.

As per MariaDB site

This is a short term release which is maintained for one year only. The latest long-term release is MariaDB 10.11, which is maintained for five years.

Better stick to 10.11 for now.

1 Like

I know how snapshot a Vps, but: how can i snapshot a dedicated server?

Nope, in dedicated server that won’t be possible. (The providers i’ve used so far does not offer such feature)

@usmannasir can i suggest that you just set 10.11 to default in new Cyberpanel installations? All you have to do is add the repo for it then apt install will install it by default.

Sure yes, let me take care of this.