Unable to register authentication agent: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1.Error.Failed

CentOS 7
CP 2.3.2

@usmannasir Just upgraded successfully to 2.3.2. Great work as always however when performing the last couple of upgrades and when using shutdown -h now I receive this in Putty

** (pkttyagent:9084): WARNING **: 13:59:38.442: Unable to register authentication agent: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1.Error.Failed: Cannot determine user of subject
Error registering authentication agent: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1.Error.Failed: Cannot determine user of subject (polkit-error-quark, 0)

Any ideas how to rectify as it is a little off-putting when upgrading! I have seen solutions such as How to fix GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1.Error.Failed – OpenTechy.com but wanted to check with you first before attempting.

Don’t use Linux versions with GUI like freedesktop use minimal versions

I’m sorry but I do not understand your response. I haven’t attempted the link I included in the original question, I was merely asking how I can resolve this. I am unsure what the issue is as it only happens when running CP updates and on running specific commands.

I would appreciate a more guided answer as I am not an expert server admin, just a self taught user.

maybe what @Dreamer want to tell you is, install linux with minimum configuration
only network and no desktop/GUI apache or else…
just install Server edition with minimum option

I got this error on minimal version too!

@Dreamer

1 Like

@Aria I have had this issue since after the previous update (before latest version) of CP I think. I run yum update before CP upgrade but have made no changes to the original linux install as I am not an expert server admin. My vps server has been running for 3 years so I am really confused why this has suddenly appeared since the last couple of upgrades.

1 Like

I also have such an error for some time after each update. During this time, the following is not displayed:
Manage Services => Services Status (Memory Usage),
Server Status => Top Processes

I use these commands to fix the problem (centos 7).

mount proc -o remount,hidepid=0
systemctl restart polkit.service

4 Likes

@Dreamer @MyIDKaTePe CentOS 7 is an officially supported platform for cyberpanel and a very widely used server OS. This kind of response hardly encourages new users to the product.

@usmannasir I’m experiencing this issue on CentOS 7. What gives?

2 Likes

There:
https://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=17291

Cyberpanel has issues indeed, but it can’t take all the blame.

Year and half for centos7 EOL, perhaps a good time to upgrade to almalinux.

This fixed things for me

1 Like

Do not “disable secure processes” fix the real reason, Solution, test on 2 updated CentOS 7 with CWP

Resolution:

Ensure the existence of a polkitd system user & group
Copy/paste the following 2 compound-commands to a root terminal to check for and conditionally create the user/group

Code:

getent group polkitd >/dev/null && echo -e "\e[1;32mpolkitd group already exists\e[0m" || { groupadd -r polkitd && echo -e "\e[1;33mAdded missing polkitd group\e[0m" || echo -e "\e[1;31mAdding polkitd group FAILED\e[0m"; } getent passwd polkitd >/dev/null && echo -e "\e[1;32mpolkitd user already exists\e[0m" || { useradd -r -g polkitd -d / -s /sbin/nologin -c "User for polkitd" polkitd && echo -e "\e[1;33mAdded missing polkitd user\e[0m" || echo -e "\e[1;31mAdding polkitd user FAILED\e[0m"; }
Reset the permissions and user/group ownership for all files provided by the polkit and polkit-pkla-compat packages
Copy/paste the following compound-command to a root terminal to check for and conditionally reset user/group perms & ownership

Code:

rpm -Va polkit\* && echo -e "\e[1;32mpolkit* rpm verification passed\e[0m" || { echo -e "\e[1;33mResetting polkit* rpm user/group ownership & perms\e[0m"; rpm --setugids polkit polkit-pkla-compat; rpm --setperms polkit polkit-pkla-compat; }
Reboot
A reboot of the machine will be required to make sure that all changes take affect and that polkit has reconnected to the dbus

Code:

shutdown -r now

source:Polkit error - GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1.Error.Failed
user: NTF (thx) Profile of NFT

Allah razı olsun :pray: