Totally confused on DNS workflow

I’ve been using cPanel (Apache) for ages and now moving to CyberPanel/OLS for speed & cost. After learning them and struggling a couple of days with my Joomla! .htaccess etc I could get it up and running on a VPS and started to move my websites. When I hit some walls I had to take a look to DNS records and got confused. I admit I never understood DNS stuff completely, but the behavior on CyberPanel is a lot different than cPanel. I need some clarifications on the workflow.

Say:

1. My server is myserver.mydomain.net on IP 123.123.123.123 , I have CyberPanel & OLS up and running.
  2. Config Default Nameservers => ns1.mydomain.net & ns2.mydomain.net pointing to 123.123.123.123
  3. On the VPS’s ISP I defined rDNS to point to this server and defined ns1.mydomain.net & ns2.mydomain.net as nameservers for the main domain.

So far so good. Next I started to create one “reseller”, created the “website” (say domain1.com) and started to move the domain by pointing to ns1.mydomain.net & ns2.mydomain.net.

Now, whenever I look at the DNS records I see the following:

A mail.mail.domain1.com 3600 123.123.123.123
CNAME www.mail.domain1.com 3600 mail.domain1.com 0
MX domain1.com 3600 mail.domain1.com 10
MX mail.domain1.com 3600 mail.mail.domain1.com 10

NS domain1.com 3600 ns1.domain1.com 0
NS domain1.com 3600 ns2.domain1.com 0

SOA domain1.com 3600 ns1.domain1.com hostmaster.domain1.com 1 10800 3600 604800 3600 0

So:

1. what is mail.mail ?

2. NS records point to non-existent name servers. I would expect ns1.mydomain.net & ns2.mydomain.net at their place.
    Similarly SOA record also point to non-existent name server (and mail)

This is different from cPanel and I would expect the following:

Registrar/ISP - rDNS & DNS to point to my server
My server runs a DNS Server
Every domain on the server uses the same DNS server.

So, with the above defaults do I have to create ns1/ns2.domain.tld for each domain?

1. I tried to delete-change NS and SOA records and replace the defaults with ns1/ns2.mydomain.net versions, now I lost external access to the website.

I read lots of documentation and forum posts to no avail.
I also read that there are no DNS templates.

Before these changes (and without domain1.com nameservers) the website was working (I wonder how). But:

• I had problems with mail server SSL (may be not related)
  • MXToolbox and other online tools were showing DNS related errors (as expected from above definitions)

Please advise how to correctly set it up…

It is getting more interesting with Alias Domains…

So, say I have a main domain mydomain.com and have aliases mydomain.net & mydomain.org which I want to redirect to mydomain.com using .htaccess - a usual practice…

When you create an alias, DNS records are created (found them in phpMyAdmin “cyberpanel” database “records” table), but you can not access them through DNS => Add/Delete Records menu item. 11 + 11 = 22 additional records are created including _dmarc, _domainkey. BUT also NS and SOA records pointing to non-existing / non-directly-editable stuff.

I could manage this:

And now should I do the same for all domains and their aliases?

Am I doing something wrong here? Is this how it is supposed to work?

LOL Levent :smiley:
Although I continue to struggle with some issues such as backup scheduling, statistics, intermittent core dumps etc, I managed to get a rather stable / optimized server (I think) after a month or so on CentOS 7…
Performance is good…

[Quote] I could manage this:

You also need to create A records for your nameservers.

ns1 ----------> 3600 123.123.123.123

ns2 -----------> 3600 123.123.123.123

The IP’s should be the same as the IP (glue) at the registrar

Type your comment> @bozden said:

LOL Levent :smiley:
Although I continue to struggle with some issues such as backup scheduling, statistics, intermittent core dumps etc, I managed to get a rather stable / optimized server (I think) after a month or so on CentOS 7…
Performance is good…

What type of statistics are you looking to report on?