Timeout error: One of the website is working fine but other having timeout error

I am hosting on linode 4 CPU and 8 GB RAM. I have hosted two websites

1. Main Domain
  2. Subdomain

Subdomain is working fine as it has less traffic.
Main Domain has high traffic its working only when I restart the system. after few hours it gives 524 error.

First I thought MySQL is overloaded, but upon checking the details, it is not.

Currently CPU Usage - approx. 50%, RAM usage 20-30%, Disk Usage: 50%
Please help How to proceed.

1 Like

Hello @khaled Happy you are here

Error 524 is cloudflare specific issue caused by server processes that operate for a relatively extended period of time which in turn makes cf fail to connect to the server. Cloudflare has a timeout of maximum 100 seconds for certain plans i believe any plans below business plan.

Solution:

1. Install htop through terminal
apt-get install htop || yum install htop || wget https://github.com/htop-dev/htop/releases/download/3.2.1/htop-3.2.1.tar.xz && unxz htop-3.2.1.tar.xz && tar -zxvf htop-3.2.1.tar.gz && cd htop && ./configure && make && make install

Reboot your server and open htop using command htop and look out for memory usage indicated by Mem% and respective process e.g. see highlighted mysqld process in light blue

SImultaneously open your two websites in your favourite browser side-by-side with htop running.

Post screenshots here of htop like seen above

I am also having the same problem, hope someone can help. Were you able to solve the problem?

show output of htop