Missing /etc/os-release

I’m trying to install CP on a DigitalOcean droplet.

I started with a CentOS 8 VM, then converted to CloudLinux. After running that script, I started to run the CP script. It errored out with: Unable to detect your OS…

Upon checking cat /etc/os-release the server returned:
cat: etc/os-release: No such file or directory

I noticed several posts relating to ‘Unable to detect your OS’ citing various operating systems. Is it possible that the underlying problem is an OS’ failure to create its os-release file?

I’d like to try creating this file for CloudLinux, to see if the CP install will move forward. Does anyone know what needs to be in this file for CloudLinux? I started with CentOS 8.x and converted from there, so I should have CL 8.x running on this VM.

If the developers agree that this is fairly common, perhaps a troubleshooting note in the install docs would be helpful?

Thank you for your assistance.

– Dave / Legal.com

A little more information …
I was able to find the OS with this command:
[root@xxxx ~]# cat /etc/redhat-release
CloudLinux release 8.5 (Vladimir Shatalov)

The ‘Unable to detect your OS…’ message goes on to list the compatible OS’:
CyberPanel is supported on Ubuntu 18.04, Ubuntu 20.04, Ubuntu 20.10, CentOS 7.x, CentOS 8.x, CloudLinux 7.x, CloudLinux 8.x and AlmaLinux 8.x…

However the CloudLinux versions are not listed on the installation guide at:
https://community.cyberpanel.net/docs?category=9&topic=82

– Dave

Cloudlinux is an OS on top of base OS.
Cloudlinux only supports to be installed on top of RHEL based OS (CentOS and now almalinux)

Please install Centos8 on a fresh VPS and then install cyberpanel in it.

Then follow this tutorial to convert your centos to cloudlinux 1 - Convert CyberPanel to CloudLinux OS and Install CageFS - 17 - CloudLinux - CyberPanel Community

This is the correct way to go. You are trying to install cyberpanel directly on the cloudlinux setup

Thank you for the clarification. I misinterpreted the docs and had the installs out of order.
Regards,
– Dave

1 Like