/lib/systemd/system/rc-local.service - Ubunutu 20.04.3

Above service is enabled but fails to start on startup. It seems to be related to old way of putting startup commands but is now depreciated by Systemd. Anybody know if this is needed for CyberPanel? Or should it be fixed to start or disabled or left alone?

Are you using Cyberpanel cloud?

No I prefer to just use CyberPanel without connecting to CyberPanel Cloud.

ok, it’s status after startup maybe issue with virtualization of your VPS so please tell more details here about the VPS and provider if available

systemd-rc-local-generator is a generator that checks whether /etc/rc.d/rc.local exists and is executable, and if it is, pulls the rc-local.service unit into the boot process. This unit is responsible for running this script during late boot. The script is run after network.target, but in parallel with most other regular system services.

Note that rc-local.service runs with slightly different semantics than the original System V version, which was executed “last” in the boot process, which is a concept that does not translate to systemd.

1 Like

Please refer this article for help: How to Enable /etc/rc.local with Systemd - LinuxBabe

Another process failed to start: /lib/systemd/system/logrotate.service

I didn’t want to carry out the suggested fixes found on the internet in case it breaks part of CyberPanel / OLS.

Question: should we fix all services that fail to start or does CyberPanel / OLS need a service to fail on purpose?

I have just noticed the contents of my /etc/rc.local file:

echo 1000000 > /proc/sys/kernel/pid_max
    echo 1 > /sys/kernel/mm/ksm/run
nohup watchdog lsws > /dev/null 2>&1 &
nohup watchdog mariadb > /dev/null 2>&1 &

Is this relating to the CyberPanel watchdog?

I am going to follow the guide here: https://www.linuxbabe.com/linux-server/how-to-enable-etcrc-local-with-systemd

I will let you know what happens.

I started /lib/systemd/system/logrotate.service and it worked. But it is a static service so only runs when something else needs it. Which is CyberPanel watchdog / rc.local by the looks of it.

I followed the instructions in https://www.linuxbabe.com/linux-server/how-to-enable-etcrc-local-with-systemd

This did not fix it. And the note “Starting with 16.10, Ubuntu doesn’t ship with /etc/rc.local file anymore” seems to be wrong because I have that file already.

I am still confused what exactly is your issue/concern?

At the top. The service fails.

I am sorry but I am unable to get you. Which service is failing for you and how it impacts your server?

Check out this guide