I messed up my website with the rewrite rules and the vhost conf files. I shoudlnt have touched them, now my website is down

Hello there,

I need some help: I was trying to fix an issue on my Wordpress website. The problem was that some of my pages were returning no padlock “not secure” red icon, when I was typing the address without https://

I am using cyberpanel on oracle free tier, I was trying to fix the problem myself. I was messing with the rewrite rules and the host conf inside the cyberpanel webadmin and now my website cannot be accessed with ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS. I don’t know what to do. Can anybody tell me how can I resolve this problem? See attached file which files I messed up.

Thanks for your help (server enthusiast here, but not much experience)

p.s. this is what I put in vhost cof file for rewrite, as stated in the web article.
rewrite {
enable 1
rules <<<END_rules
rewriteFile /home/example.com/public_html/.htaccess
END_rules
}

copy from another website vhost :smiley:

rewrite rule ? it have template right ?

Yep, I thought about that after, tahnks :slight_smile: and I did. But I am now at the beginning of the problem, still the problem persists.

I lost access to my website when I clicked on rewrite rules and saved the proposed rules.

Now I updated the vhost conf file and I made it as it was in the beginning, but still nothing. Is it some problem with the htaccess file?

How can I get back to the previous state?

what kind of problem are you actually facing?

what do you mean with “lost access” ? CMS username password ? or… else ?

have you made any adjustments to the contents of the vhost ?

you can’t just copy the contents. there are some parts that must be changed such as name123(username)
sock
etc

other solutions, if your website already installer some cms

1. compress public_html… eg. public.zip
  2. backup the sql
  3. save both file on your pc
  4. delete the website
  5. recreate new website
  6. upload and extract public.zip
  7. create database & username
  8. dumb the sql back.
  9. check your cms config file to gain access to db
1 Like

The website was inaccessible, it showed the error webpage inaccessible ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS.

But I solved it now. It was a problem in one of the rewrite rules in the Rewrite Rules, I actually needed to add / in the line for one of the three default rules, RewriteRule ^/(.*)$ http://www.%{HTTP_HOST}%{REQUEST_URI} [R=301,L]

Now, not only my website is accessible, but there is no more mixed content! Wooohooo :slight_smile:

Thanks for your help @MyIDKaTePe !

1 Like