Dedicated DNS Nameservers using CyberPanel

Is it possible to have 2 dedicated servers with CyberPanel as nameservers only? And then have a third or additional CyberPanel web servers use those two as dedicated nameservers?

With my current understanding I can have 1 cyberpanel server as webhosting and nameserver and then have 1 more cyberpanel server as a slave dns nameserver but what benefit does this have if the first server goes down with the websites anyways?

i think I’m missing something here.

I used the guide to make two nameservers but when I direct my third web hosting server to them their records don’t push and I can’t resolve website hostname.

You can use your first server (web hosting server) to be master and other two servers as slave.

Then in your registrar you can configure all of these 3 as glue records. So if any one of DNS server goes down other is still up.

Slaves must have connection with master, so that records are automatically pushed to them.

Otherwise if you don’t connect them like I mentioned above, you will have to make one of your dns server as master, then add records to that server manually, it will then auto sync to slave.

You can use your first server (web hosting server) to be master and other two servers as slave.

What is the benefit of doing this option if the first server with the web hosting and dns goes down? the second server would have the dns and point to the web server but if the first server is down it wouldn’t resolve properly. Would this option only be useful if the dns function of the first server go down? I can see some utility in that.

you will have to make one of your dns server as master, then add records to that server manually, it will then auto sync to slave.

This seems more like what I’d aim towards. Is there a way to add the dns records in the third web server and have those records push to the master and then the slave? That way I could login to panel.domain.com for my website to manage all dns for that specific website without logging in to ns1.domain.com to enter those records.

For the time being I’ll use only two servers using the first method you had mentioned.

Something I’m going to try is to make a server: ns1.domain.com to be a master nameserver. I’ll add a record to map dns.domain.com to ns1.domain.com’s IP address so me and other users can login to dns.domain.com to add/edit dns records.

ns2.domain.com will be a slave server of ns1.domain.com

panel.website.com will be the third server but have no dns function. ns1 will handle all dns.

in dns.domain.com I’ll add a record to point dns.website.com to dns.domain.com’s IP address instead. This was another user can go to dns.otheruser.com to edit their records.

What this achieves is that if for some reason ns1 goes down then ns2 will be backup. and is the webhost for website.com goes down, another web server could be deployed and I can update the records in dns.domain.com to start directing traffic to the newly deployed web server.

The only inconveniences I can see so far are that there will be two different users/passwords. One for the dns.domain.com and one for panel.website.com.

Any thoughts on this setup?

I like that the DNS menu disappears from the sidebar in panel if I turn off powerdns.

Web hosting server → Goes down, then DNS works or not, there is no benefit, unless your DNS also contain email records and email is hosted some where.

First dns server → Goes down, second dns server (available to serve dns queries) and web hosting server still available.

Second dns server → Goes down, First dns server (available to serve dns queries) and web hosting server still available.

@CyberPanel Can a slave connect to and sync records from multiple master servers?

Sorry to hijack but has anyone else faced issues with PowerDNS/CyberPanel not retaining Function settings? I’ve tried to set master and slave on two severs multiple times but it appears to not be retaining settings and the slave does not get updated?

@kingjj said:
Sorry to hijack but has anyone else faced issues with PowerDNS/CyberPanel not retaining Function settings? I’ve tried to set master and slave on two severs multiple times but it appears to not be retaining settings and the slave does not get updated?

I’ve noticed this too but I think two separate things are happening. If it’s a new set of servers have they fully propogated through dns yet? A lot of problems I experience are being I’m trying to deploy servers too quickly and expect them to resolve immediately.

Secondly, I noticed that issue of not saving as well. I only got it to fix by reinitializing servers with a fresh install in the correct order. It almost seemed like they did save settings but didn’t show it in the UI but fresh installs fixed it for me.

@kingjj

Once the settings are saved, CyberPanel will not display those settings on your next visit.

If replication to slave is not working, we need to check what is wrong. You can enable maximum level logs for powerdns and check via journalctl -f | grep pdns. You need to run this command on slave while you create new zone or website on master CyberPanel.

@xurjob

I think above answer will also cater to your query as well.

@Luke007 's point got over looked.
Did you get an answer to this? Would be great to know :smile:
@CyberPanel consider this:

Starting point:
2 x Slave DNS Server
1 x Master Web Server

ns1. and ns2. point to the slave DNS servers

…Oh No, Master Server is Full!

point 2:
2 x Slave DNS servers
2 x Master Web Server (slaves are replicating from both masters)

point x:
2 x Slave DNS servers
? x Master Web Servers

in regards to your response on 31st Aug, “…unless your DNS also contain email records and email is hosted some where.”

Yes, some websites would have this, some won’t. Those who do, don’t have to worry, those who don’t will be banging on your door anyway because their website is down.

oh, forgot to mention… as the only real authentication from a slaves point of view is the Master Server’s IP, surely this could be changed to string or comma separated list.