CSF Installation Disabled After CyberPanel Update: Firewall Settings Hidden and Installation Errors

Hi,

I recently updated CyberPanel, and everything was working fine before the update. However, after the update, I noticed that it now says CSF is not installed, and the firewall settings are hidden and inaccessible.

When I try to install CSF, I receive an error saying “Failed to load CSD” and “Failed to start installation, Error message: CSF install is currently disabled.”

Could you please guide me on how to resolve this issue? Additionally, I’m unable to locate the page after upgrading to the latest version.

Current Version: 2.3
Build: 6

1 Like

Hi, I happened to notice this, and I have the same problem. I was generally bothered by the 2.3.6 update , I was quite frustrated even though I eventually got everything sorted out.

CSF: Failed to start installation, Error message: CSF install is currently disabled.

1 Like

2.3.6 is disabling CSF by default, because there are issues with it.

Pitty as it’s one of the best protections I’ve used over the years.
It’s still available for Cpanel. Which issues appear if it’s installed?

1 Like

@usmannasir Are there any plans for fixing the issues and bringing back CSF installation in future versions? Maybe there is a bug report on GitHub, and I can see what the errors are (I would gladly help to fix them).

This solution is far the best and would probably make some switch to another CP if it’s going to be discontinued.

[UPDATE}
If you have installed CSF on 2.3.5 and you upgrade to build 6, will it still work or will it also break CP?

If you upgrade to 2.3.6, it will not work.
So keep your install at 2.3.5 for now.

I did the upgrade. And today -. some da<ys later I get abuse report from my hoster.

Checking System I saw my CSF is “not installed” - thats a BIG SHIT

You can not roll out an update and disable THE FIREWALL! Its absolutely unprofessional!!!

1 Like

Yeah, it sucks - big time. Luckily only 10% of our servers had it, so we quickly migrated to another CP. I really hope this will be fixed soon. Or at least readable bug-report or reason behind disabling it is posted, so that some of us can manually downgrade or at least try to patch it.

If such a BUG report comes in that an update puts the entire security and firewall of an installation out of action, then it is not the right solution to change the update to simply uninstall the firewall without further inquiry. Then the right way is to block the update and not roll it out any further. Many users - like me - only installed it later when the BUG was already known. It is irresponsible to send these users to their doom!!!

1 Like

I wonder if I could install CSF on my server manually. In fact, Cyberpanel is running on ubuntu20.04LTS. According to the CSF website this is supported (Ubuntu 18 to Ubuntu 20), has anyone tried this?

I tried, but after downgrading CP, it still doesn’t work. There are some dependency issues. I’m still looking into it.

I have also made various attempts. My server is still running under Ubuntu 20.04LTS and so I thought I could install csf manually, because csf is supposed to be compatible up to Ubuntu 20.

Unfortunately, that didn’t work. So: OpenLitespeed still works perfectly and delivers all websites. Only the CyberPanel no longer works. I first thought it was an issue with port :8090 and then mapped it to port 8443 via Bind. The certificate is also delivered correctly there, but there is still an error. Now the question arises whether it is really due to the CSF, which has not been changed and is compatible with Ubuntu 20 - or whether something has been changed in CyberPanel so that it is no longer compatible (possibly libraries outside the Ubuntu version have been replaced).

I’ve read something about package/dependency incompatibility on CSF side from @Master3395, but nothing more than that. It would help a lot if someone could outline specific issues CSF or new CP updates have, so others can try to find a workaround.

P.S. I recreated one VPS using Ubuntu 22.04 and CP 2.3.5 with CSF and it worked. Also made new VPS with Ubuntu 22.04 using OpenLitespeed + CSF (latest) and everything works like a charm. However, if I upgrade to 2.3.6 or later downgrade it back, everything breaks.

1 Like

Thank you for your tests and reports. There must be a solution. Maybe you can contact the CSF developers. They say there is compatibility with Ubuntu.

I used my tests and upgraded my Ubuntu20.04LTS system with Cyberpanle to Ubuntu22.04LTS using a do-release upgrade. Everyone had advised against it and said it wouldn’t work. Well what can I say: It worked but I had to follow a few steps to get all components working again. Now I have Ubuntu22.04LTS with Cyberpanel 2.3.6 and broken CSF. I hope we find a solution soon. UFW is not the same as CSF

I’ve recently started using AI support to solve and isolate problems and I’m very happy with it. It’s much easier instead of reading endless documentation and analyzing log files (myself). The AI helps to narrow down errors quickly and specifically, which can then be rectified

I’ve created a script to rollback to a version of Cyberpanel which is compatible with CSF.
This is a Temporary work around until there is a proper solution.

The post will give more details on the issue.
This works for me on Almalinux 9.
For those who have testing environments, test it out and confirm.

How to Re-enable CSF Firewall on CyberPanel - SaJeTek Development Services (sajetekengineering.com)

2 Likes

@sajetek_developer doesn’t work on Ubuntu 22.04 (still returns 500 error anywhere in :8090 CP dashboard). Services do work tho’. Your script - in theory - should also work.

Then Ubuntu 22 might need additional step or needs a different commit.
Check logs to see what the error message is.

1 Like

After running a script, the GUI panel started giving an error
can you help me?

Start by reinstalling requirements:

pip install -r /usr/local/CyberCP/requirments.txt --force-reinstall

Upgrade django and running Cyberpanel upgrade script to v2.3.5

pip install --upgrade django
sh <(curl https://raw.githubusercontent.com/usmannasir/cyberpanel/stable/preUpgrade.sh || wget -O - https://raw.githubusercontent.com/usmannasir/cyberpanel/stable/preUpgrade.sh)

This should bring you back to a working panel without CSF
Then from there rerun the script and follow the instructions to restore your csf configs.

If you get any 500 errors, check the logs in /home/cyberpanel/stderr.log

3 Likes

Thank you friend,

It helped me a lot, it solved my problem.

1 Like