Can't Manage website after enabling Modsecurity

After enabling mod security when I am trying to go to website>list website>domain.com>manage

the url is dashboard.domain.com/website/domain.com

I am getting 403 forbidden error.

Hello @RitZz

1. Have you diagnosed the issue on client side first?
  2. Did you add any modSec rules at https://SERVER_URL:8090/firewall/modSecRules?
  3. Set SecDebugLogLevel to 9 restart LSWS, visit said link and post contents of server’s error log

Mod sec rules

server error log

1. Run command touch /usr/local/CyberCP/debug && reboot and reissue the ssl for hostname and post the contents of nano /home/cyberpanel/error-logs.txt

Let’s start from the beginning the error is 403 forbidden error after your enabled modsecurity.

1. Check if you are using a VPN. disable it
  2. Clear browser cache
  3. Disable modsecurity to see if problem goes away. If it does we need to find out which rule file is conflicting and then turn off that specific rule file.
  4. In extreme cases check your server AV for possible infections (last resort if all fails)
  1. Tried with VPN as well as without. No difference.
  2. Cleared browser cache, incognito mode, different browser. no luck
  3. Disabling Modsecurity makes the problem go away. That’s how I am using the server rn
  4. Imunify360 says no infections detected.

Sorry didnt see this https://community.cyberpanel.net/uploads/default/original/2X/e/e2601dbafb058487deca8f4f7678c12b2d5c9961.png

One of those rules is causing that issue.

1. Either disable one by one and see if the issue goes away or post the rules here I diagnose this for you

removed them all completely. added them from a different cyberpanel thread.

these rules were there by default and the problem still persists.

Reboot your server

Doesn’t help. 403 forbidden

Disable imunify360 and test

Not sure how to do that, In the control panel it only gives a button to access imunify 360

Run systemctl stop imunify-antivirus OR RHEL based service imunify-antivirus stop

imunify stopped. still 403-

You receive 403 forbidden error because Modsecurity is protecting you when the Inbound Anomaly Score Exceeds the number.

In your LOG file (/usr/local/lsws/logs/error.log) you will see:

...[INFO] ...HTTP2-1#dashboard.domain.com] [Module:mod_security] ModSecurity: Warning. Matched "Operator `... against variable `TX:EXTENSION' (Value: `.com/' ) [file "/usr/local/lsws/conf/modsec/owasp-modsecurity-crs-3.0-master/rules/REQUEST-920-PROTOCOL-ENFORCEMENT.conf"] [line "1015"] [id "920440"] [rev ""] [msg "URL file extension is restricted by policy"] [data ".com"] ... [hostname "dashboard.domain.com"] [uri "/websites/domain.com"]...
...[INFO] ...HTTP2-1#dashboard.domain.com] [Module:mod_security]Intervention status code triggered: 403
...[INFO] ...HTTP2-1#dashboard.domain.com] [Module:mod_security]Log Message: [client 223.73.114.21] ModSecurity: Access denied with code 403 (phase 2). Matched "Operator `Ge' with parameter `5' against variable `TX:ANOMALY_SCORE' (Value: `5' ) [file "/usr/local/lsws/conf/modsec/owasp-modsecurity-crs-3.0-master/rules/REQUEST-949-BLOCKING-EVALUATION.conf"] [line "80"] [id "949110"] [rev ""] [msg "Inbound Anomaly Score Exceeded (Total Score: 5)"] [data ""] [severity "2"] ...[tag "attack-generic"] [hostname "dashboard.domain.com"] [uri "/websites/domain.com"]...

To solve this, you need to override the ModSecurity Rules activated in the OWASP package:

Goto Cyberpanel > Security > ModSecurity Rules, add into the next line:

SecRule REQUEST_BASENAME "@beginsWith /websites" "id:920440, phase:2,allow"

Save the rule and you will be allowed to manage your websites.

Yes, this should be something Cyberpanel can add automatically after adding Owasp Rule Pack.

Have a happy management.

1 Like

I added this line but it still doesn’t work.

SecRule REQUEST_BASENAME “@beginsWith /websites” “id:920440, phase:2,allow”

Hi, I recommend you use these two.

SecRule REQUEST_URI "@beginsWith /websites/" "id:10000,phase:1,nolog,pass,ctl:ruleRemoveById=920440"

SecRule REQUEST_URI "@beginsWith /filemanager/" "id:10001,phase:1,nolog,pass,ctl:ruleRemoveById=920440"
1 Like

Still can’t. Below are my error details recorded in the log:

[Module:mod_security] ModSecurity: Warning. Matched "Operator Within' with parameter .asa/ .asax/ .ascx/ .axd/ .backup/ .bak/ .bat/ .cdx/ .cer/ .cfg/ .cmd/ .com/ .config/ .conf/ .cs/ .csproj/ .csr/ .dat/ .db/ .dbf/ .dll/ .dos/ .htr/ .htw/ .ida/ .idc/ .idq/ .inc/ .ini/ .key/ .licx/ .ln (150 characters omitted)’ against variable TX:EXTENSION' (Value: .com/’ ) [file “/usr/local/lsws/conf/modsec/owasp-modsecurity-crs-3.0-master/rules/REQUEST-920-PROTOCOL-ENFORCEMENT.conf”] [line “1015”] [id “920440”] [rev “”] [msg “URL file extension is restricted by policy”] [data “.com”] [severity “2”] [ver “OWASP_CRS/3.3.2”] [maturity “0”] [accuracy “0”] [tag “application-multi”] [tag “language-multi”] [tag “platform-multi”] [tag “attack-protocol”] [tag “paranoia-level/1”] [tag “OWASP_CRS”] [tag “capec/1000/210/272”] [tag “PCI/6.5.10”] [hostname “subdomain.vn-t.com”] [uri “/websites/vn-t.com”] [unique_id “170106424650.002166”] [ref “o4,4o5,3v14,8o71,5t:urlDecodeUni,t:lowercase”]
[Module:mod_security]Intervention status code triggered: 403
[Module:mod_security]Log Message: [client id] ModSecurity: Access denied with code 403 (phase 2). Matched "Operator Ge' with parameter 5’ against variable TX:ANOMALY_SCORE' (Value: 5’ ) [file “/usr/local/lsws/conf/modsec/owasp-modsecurity-crs-3.0-master/rules/REQUEST-949-BLOCKING-EVALUATION.conf”] [line “80”] [id “949110”] [rev “”] [msg “Inbound Anomaly Score Exceeded (Total Score: 5)”] [data “”] [severity “2”] [ver “OWASP_CRS/3.3.2”] [maturity “0”] [accuracy “0”] [tag “application-multi”] [tag “language-multi”] [tag “platform-multi”] [tag “attack-generic”] [hostname “subdomain.vn-t.com”] [uri “/websites/vn-t.com”] [unique_id “170106424650.002166”] [ref “”]

Help me. Thanks you!

There is a syntax error, post the entire contents of your ModSecurity rules here.