Add support for ALMALINUX 8

Hello,

Please add support for ALMALINUX 8.

Please add official support for ALMALINUX 8 because Centos will be EOF.

You should add:

https://cyberpanel.net/install.sh

yum update curl wget ca-certificates -y 1> /dev/null
SERVER_OS=“CentOS”
elif echo $OUTPUT | grep -q “CentOS Linux 8” ; then
echo -e "
Detecting Centos 8…
"
SERVER_OS=“CentOS8”
elif echo $OUTPUT | grep -q “AlmaLinux 8” ; then
echo -e "
Detecting Centos 8…
"
SERVER_OS=“CentOS8”
yum install curl wget -y 1> /dev/null

It added along with support for Rocky Linux, currently in dev branch.

After CentOS 8 support was cut short at EOL Dec-2021 (lame!), perhaps you can add CentOS Stream 8 as a supported config? “Stream” is like a Beta or Release Candidate for RHEL, which can be acceptable for many CyberPanel users as it would give them updates until 2024.

Or it’s possible to use CentOS 8 for now, and when support ends at the end of 2021, to transition to CentOS Stream 8?

They claim it’s as easy as:
Converting from CentOS Linux 8 to CentOS Stream 8

1. dnf swap centos-linux-repos centos-stream-repos
  2. dnf distro-sync

But will Stream 8 version work properly with CyberPanel?

I don’t know because I’ve not tried Centos Stream 8. However Centos 8 is still supported along with Centos 7 too.

Moving forward will focus on Ubuntu, Rocky and Alma.

OK, so which server OS works best with CyberPanel in 2021 and later? Ubuntu or RHEL/CentOS/Alma/Rocky?

It should be very easy to bypass OS checks for CentOS Stream 8.

In https://cyberpanel.net/install.sh,

elif echo $OUTPUT | grep -q -E “CentOS Linux 8ICentOS Stream 8” ; then
echo -e "
Detecting Centos 8…
"
SERVER_OS=“CentOS8”

echo -e "\

Unable to detect your OS…
"
echo -e "
CyberPanel is supported on Ubuntu 18.04 | 20.04 | 20.10, CentOS 7.x | 8.x, CentOS Stream 8.x, CloudLinux 7.x, AlmaLinux 8.x"

In main installer - https://cyberpanel.sh?dl

if grep -q -E “CentOS Linux 7|CentOS Linux 8|CentOS Stream 8” /etc/os-release ; then
Server_OS=“CentOS”

But will it install and work properly?

Ubuntu, RockyLinux and Alma should work fine in future.

Type your comment> @usmannasir said:

Ubuntu, RockyLinux and Alma should work fine in future.

Good. But which one offers better compatibility / stability with CyberPanel? Ubuntu or RHEL clones?

Moving forward I will be working more with Ubuntu, so I would recommend ubuntu but earlier all our focus was on Centos.

@usmannasir

“It added along with support for Rocky Linux, currently in dev branch.”

where is that added because im searching to github to install.sh in different branches and nowhere is added…

I tried to install CyberPanel on AlmaLinux 8.4 yesterday, and it said it was an unsupported OS. :confused:

I’ll look at install.sh.

But CyberPanel looks awesome so far when I tested it under CentOS 8.4.

AlmaLinux is from CloudLinux, so it should be stable as they have the experience of building it from RHEL.
So should Rocky Linux, since they have the original creator of CentOS.

Kinda a toss up of which OS to use.
Glad you guys will support both.

I think Rocky will be better for the long run.

AlmaLinux has a couple pluses, namely they are the same company as CloudLinux, KernelCare and IMUNIFY360.

I hope to see CyberPanel support both AlmaLinux & Rocky very soon.

el8 is EOL in only 5 months.
Not allot of time to convert systems.

Hi,
I’m new here, I know Cyberpanel a few days ago.
Since yesterday I try and test cyberpanel in some vps that I have, I think Cyberpanel its really good and excellent!!

Well, yesterday I try to install in AlmaLinux, and the script of installation not accept this OS.

In CentOS 7 and 8, all ok.

In a few hours I go to try install in CentOS 8 and then, “convert” CentOS 8 to AlmaLinux, AlmaLinux have a official script for “convert” CentOS 8 to AlmaLinux.

After my tests, I writte the results here.

Regards.

Like was indicate, I made this test:
I install in one VPS CentOS 8, after this, I install CyberPanel, and then, I install/execute the official script for “convert” CentOS 8 to AlmaLinux.
Not work, this is the error:

[root@server1 ~]# bash almalinux-deploy.sh
Check root privileges OK
Check centos-8.x86_64 is supported OK
Download RPM-GPG-KEY-AlmaLinux OK
Import RPM-GPG-KEY-AlmaLinux to RPM DB OK
Download almalinux-release package OK
Verify almalinux-release package OK
Your OS is supported OK
warning: /etc/yum.repos.d/CentOS-Linux-PowerTools.repo saved as /etc/yum.repos.d/CentOS-Linux-PowerTools.repo.rpmsave
Remove OS specific rpm packages OK
Verifying… ########################################
Preparing… ########################################
Updating / installing…
almalinux-release-8.4-2.el8 ########################################
Install almalinux-release package OK
Backup of alternatives is done OK
determining the fastest mirror (128 hosts)… done.
AlmaLinux 8 - BaseOS 652 kB/s | 4.5 MB 00:07
AlmaLinux 8 - AppStream 1.2 MB/s | 8.0 MB 00:06
AlmaLinux 8 - Extras 1.8 kB/s | 2.5 kB 00:01
Extra Packages for Enterprise Linux Modular 8 - 703 kB/s | 663 kB 00:00
Extra Packages for Enterprise Linux 8 - x86_64 7.1 MB/s | 10 MB 00:01
Error:
Problem 1: package libstdc+±devel-8.4.1-1.el8.alma.x86_64 requires libstdc++(x86-64) = 8.4.1-1.el8.alma, but none of the providers can be installed

• cannot install both libstdc+±8.4.1-1.el8.alma.x86_64 and libstdc+±8.4.1-1.el8.x86_64
  • cannot install the best update candidate for package libstdc+±devel-8.4.1-1.el8.x86_64
  • cannot install the best update candidate for package libstdc+±8.4.1-1.el8.x86_64
    Problem 2: package platform-python-devel-3.6.8-37.el8.alma.x86_64 conflicts with platform-python < 3.6.8-37.el8.alma provided by platform-python-3.6.8-37.el8.x86_64
  • cannot install the best update candidate for package platform-python-devel-3.6.8-37.el8.x86_64
  • cannot install the best update candidate for package platform-python-3.6.8-37.el8.x86_64
    Problem 3: libgcc-8.4.1-1.el8.alma.i686 has inferior architecture
  • package gcc-8.4.1-1.el8.alma.x86_64 requires libgcc >= 8.4.1-1.el8.alma, but none of the providers can be installed
  • cannot install both libgcc-8.4.1-1.el8.alma.x86_64 and libgcc-8.4.1-1.el8.x86_64
  • cannot install the best update candidate for package libgcc-8.4.1-1.el8.x86_64
  • cannot install the best update candidate for package gcc-8.4.1-1.el8.x86_64
    Problem 4: libgomp-8.4.1-1.el8.alma.i686 has inferior architecture
  • package gcc-8.4.1-1.el8.alma.x86_64 requires libgomp = 8.4.1-1.el8.alma, but none of the providers can be installed
  • cannot install both libgomp-8.4.1-1.el8.alma.x86_64 and libgomp-8.4.1-1.el8.x86_64
  • package gcc-c+±8.4.1-1.el8.alma.x86_64 requires gcc = 8.4.1-1.el8.alma, but none of the providers can be installed
  • cannot install the best update candidate for package libgomp-8.4.1-1.el8.x86_64
  • cannot install the best update candidate for package gcc-c+±8.4.1-1.el8.x86_64
    (try to add ‘–allowerasing’ to command line to replace conflicting packages or ‘–skip-broken’ to skip uninstallable packages or ‘–nobest’ to use not only best candidate packages)
    Run dnf distro-sync -y. Exit code: 1 ERROR
    [root@server1 ~]#

This was made only for test, no problem, sure, in the future, CyberPanel support AlmaLinux.

Regards.

@wonder I just installed AlmaLinux, tried and got the message about it not finding a supported Linux blah blah…, then I looked at the lines and ran them manually, the install proceeded with a few warnings and nothing I could see as really bad and not a show stopper.

It is now running and appears to be working correctly with Alma Linux ( AlmaLinux ) altough I would have liked to have seen it run from the initial shell script, I know enough to be dangerous and I must say I am impressed with the automation and inclusions of CyberPanel.

I am about to create another live VM and I was thinking of doing the same again, so I can post the commands in a follow up post (although it was just what was displayed on the screen when it said it could not install).

@usmannasir any idea on the GA supporting Alma Linux or Rocky? Any if I just run the lines from the shell script that are displayed, would that give me the same result (albeit with more interaction) as compared to a “supported” os? As my test install seemed to work as expected with no real issues apart from the warnings during the install about compiling (I think it was more about security etc, I did not take too much notice as I was more looking for skipped files or errors).

ok, I created my own install scrip file based on the one from the OP, placed it on a server I have access to and it went through without issue apart from a couple of security warnings about running something as root or similar for the install. Still would be nice to know when the dev branch will go to stable.

@fungal
Thanks for your reply, this lasts days I was in hollidays, today start some tests.

Regards.