Webmail works but does not connect to any external client

Hello everyone, how’s it going?

I’m new to CyberPanel, I just started configuring it two days ago and I’m pretty new to the subject, but I’ve done a lot of research and managed to get most things working. I’m really enjoying CyberPanel, but I’ve encountered a small problem.

I managed to configure the domains, my clients’ websites and everything else, I managed to get Webmail to work without any problems, I decided to install RoundCube and after a lot of research I also made it work. Everything was going great until I finally tested it in an email program (Outlook, Thunderbird). Whenever I try to make the connection (even if automatically) or putting the data manually, it never works. In Outlook it always gives a generic error, it doesn’t say where the problem was, it only asks if I’m connecting to the right account. In Thunderbird, it stays ‘Checking your password’ for years and doesn’t connect either. The e-mails service works normally when trying to use webmail, the problem is even when I try to connect to some program. Do you know what’s going on?

PS: I’m very layman but I try hard to learn, if you want some log or some kind of code, if you can provide the line of code for me to paste in the terminal, it will make it a lot easier because I still don’t know how to handle it much. I’m using Almalinux 8.x

Thank you very much.

set your mail hostname
and make sure client domain have mail.domain.tld

dont use cyberpanel
cyberpanel still need learnable person to manage it

I don’t think so. Community is a open space to learn, teach and share. I hope i still can use CyberPanel.

Set your mail hostname - What you mean about that? Set where? I may not really understand much, but also writing empty things won’t help me friend! Grateful if you can elaborate a little more and we’ll try to develop the solution.

Make sure client domain have mail.domain.tld - This is default, right? Everytime that i create a Website, cyberpanel make this automatic. But yeah, if i check my domain list, the mail.domain.tld is on the page

welcome to cyberpanel then :slight_smile:

me too

i cannot screen shot the placement since i was not use cyberpanel anymore but still try to get the “u-turn” here

1 Like

Webmail fully working, sending and receiving mails but no connection to an external client…that’s a really interesting issue.

Will you be online in 3 hours? I would like to connect by anydesk to your PC and check it, I love to debug mysterious stuff.

2 Likes

you’d have to give more detail, like which port? Encrypted or not? Etc.

But I’d start by making sure certificate were issued correctly for mail.yourdomainhere.com someone else posted about can’t connect to smtp server, but they in fact could, it just timed out on encryption handshake.

1 Like

Kindly check this guide if you are not able to connect to outlook → 6 - Self-signed SSL error on Outlook/Thunderbird

1 Like

I really have a lot of doubts about that. The Tutorial says that if you have the old panel you need to do something else, and in the current ones it already does what it should be done, I don’t understand what I need to do because my cyberpanel has the latest available version installed. Sorry but it’s a little confusing for me.

Yeah i know, its a little bit confusing but what im trying to do know

I looked for sites like ‘SMTP tester’ that will only make that external connection and send it from one email to the other to test… And bingo: I can’t get a connection there. connection works just when i use port 25 / BUT, i still cant connect on my outlook using the port 25.

gmass tests:

port 25:

Connected to smtp://mail.mydomain.tld:25/?starttls=when-available
<< 220 mail.mydomain.tld ESMTP Postfix
>> EHLO [IP ADDRESS]
<< 250-mydomain.tld
<< 250-PIPELINING
<< 250-SIZE 30720000
<< 250-ETRN
<< 250-STARTTLS
<< 250-AUTH PLAIN
<< 250-AUTH=PLAIN
<< 250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
<< 250-8BITMIME
<< 250-DSN
<< 250 CHUNKING
>> STARTTLS
<< 220 2.0.0 Ready to start TLS
>> EHLO [IP ADDRESS]
<< 250-mail.mydomain.tld
<< 250-PIPELINING
<< 250-SIZE 30720000
<< 250-ETRN
<< 250-AUTH PLAIN
<< 250-AUTH=PLAIN
<< 250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
<< 250-8BITMIME
<< 250-DSN
<< 250 CHUNKING
>> AUTH PLAIN AGNvbnRhdG9Acm9kcmlndWVzbWFsdmV6emlhZHZvZ2Fkb3MuY29tLmJyAEVAcm1hQDIwMjE=
<< 235 2.7.0 Authentication successful
>> MAIL FROM:<[email protected]> SIZE=582
>> RCPT TO:<[email protected]>
<< 250 2.1.0 Ok
<< 250 2.1.5 Ok
>> DATA
<< 354 End data with <CR><LF>.<CR><LF>
>> From: [email protected]
>> Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2022 13:03:45 퍍
>> Subject: SMTP test from mail.MYDOMAIN.TLD
>> Message-Id: <5XFZQLOPGHU4.RTQMSNPCEN3J2@WIN-AUIR3RRGP88>
>> To: [email protected]
>> MIME-Version: 1.0
>> Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="=-lwkvq/MMqWyk7E/F6vsmuQ=="
>>
>> --=-lwkvq/MMqWyk7E/F6vsmuQ==
>> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8
>>
>> Test message
>> --=-lwkvq/MMqWyk7E/F6vsmuQ==
>> Content-Type: text/html; charset=utf-8
>> Content-Id: <5XFZQLOPGHU4.DUFGZNB06D8C@WIN-AUIR3RRGP88>
>>
>> <b>Test message</b>
>> --=-lwkvq/MMqWyk7E/F6vsmuQ==--
>> .
<< 250 2.0.0 Ok: queued as 6BC6AAA031B

ps: this domain.tld its my domain or client email, i just censored the data.

So ok, when i try Gmass on port 25 i receave an e-mail.

Port 587 / 465 It says it couldn’t connect my IP:port

— Curious, in Gmass it worked, but when I tried it on the site https://www.smtper.net/ even on port 25, this was the error:

SMTP send error
Transaction failed. The server response was: 5.7.1 : Relay access denied

yeah outlook is pretty picky about certificate. Just reissue certificate, try to check port and stuff. Again, without logs, I really don’t understand how people expect us to debug those issues.

Relay access denied is normal, very few server would relay email, server has to be configured for it.

Sure, I can provide the logs, but as I said initially I’m a bit of a layman. What logs do you need? How can I access them?

Send me your anydesk to try debug it

1 Like