Move website from sub-domain to primary domain

Hello,

I am trying to figure out how to move my site from a sub-domain to the primary domain of my website created by cyberpanel.

Originally, I created the new website at “dev.example.com” as a staging site to build it while the old website was still functional at “example.com.”

Now that the new website is ready to go, I want to switch “dev.example.com” → “example.com.” Searching this forum and the internet, I have been unable to find a solution. Many posts said it is not possible to do within cyberpanel and I saw that it is a tracked feature request.

I tried to utilize the Clone/Staging functionality for wordpress but I kept getting a “Failed to create child-domain for staging environment. [404].”

I also tried to add it as a domain but I kept getting a “Error message: Virtual Host Directory already exists. [404].” I searched my server for the virtual host directory but only the one for “dev.example.com” exists.

Do I need to edit my vHost Conf file? I am at a loss for what to do. Any help would be much appreciated!

Thank you ahead of time.

I take it you created the subdomain with a wordpress installer rather than doing it manually and uploading the files?

@ianw5555 I believe that is the case.

The site is set up on a DigitalOcean Droplet with CyberPanel (CyberPanel | DigitalOcean Marketplace 1-Click App).

Within CyberPanel, I did a one-click install for WordPress (CyberPanel | Images | Cloud | LiteSpeed Documentation).

That is the problem with a one click install. You are stuck with that subdomain. The only solution I can think of is to download a full backup, files and database. Delete the domain, create a new domain and restore the site there.
You would need to put:
define(‘WP_HOME’,‘https://example.com’);
define(‘WP_SITEURL’,‘https://example.com’);
in your config.php file just under:

<?php define( 'WP_CACHE', true ) ; so that wordpress recognises your new url

@ianw5555 thank you for the advice! I will try that today and report back.

Once I backup the whole site, would I just delete it via CyberPanel?

Yes but don’t forget to download the backup to your PC first and only do so if you are confident you know how to restore a wordpress site from a backup, i don’t wish to be responsible for the loss of your site.

@ianw5555 Thank you so much for your help! Your advice worked perfectly and the new site is up and running on the new domain!

Brilliant :slight_smile: