Installing a laravel app but getting 404 and 500 error

Hello,
I am trying to install an app on a child-domain (app.domain.com). So that means that the root document would be domain.com/child-domain. I drop in the app files in that directory.
After that I change the CHMOD of the folders that I need to change to 755. Once I do that the devs of the app say the following:

Changing the public directory IMPORTANT

Configure your web server’s document / web root to point to the public directory of the software. For example, if you’ve uploaded the software in example.com folder, your web directory should be changed to example.com/public folder.

You can find more info an how to change your site Document root over at:

• For custom servers / VPSs you will have to change your DocumentRoot out of the site’s virtual host file.

I go in to the child-domain settings where I can change vhost conf and rewrite rules, I go into vhost conf and I change docRoot from /home/domain.com/child-domain to /home/domain.com/child-domain/public

Finally I try to enter the site using child-domain.domain.com but I am getting a 500 error.

Not sure whats happening. Please help.

the problem is with vhost conf and rewrite rules and changing root document. when i change the root document from project.domain.com root to project.domain.com/public, i get 500 error

i tried using the solution usmannasir wrote here BUT no effect. the domain project.domain.com has SSL

i have to drop the whole app into project.domain.com and the app has a public folder which has to be the root directory so do i change the vhost conf or do i use rewrite rules to make it work? why doesnt changing vhost conf rootdoc fix this?

@usmannasir @shoaibkk can I get some help here? Would really appreciate it.

Right now I want to have the laravel project on a subdomain/child-domain for staging and then I will move it to a website in CyberPanel so it will be in a directory for domain.com.

Problem is how to make it so that with SSL it reads from the /public folder instead of the /root folder

vhost conf is set by default by cyberpanel when creating child-domain

htaccess empty in child-domain.com folder

images for the child-domain.com folder and for child-domain.com/public as also htaccess for child-domain.com/public

Can you please share error logs first

DMed you @shoaibkk