Evaluation CyberPanel leaving Plesk :-)

Hello

I compared a few ControlPanels and i will go for a test installation of CyberPanel. We have used Plesk for at least five years, but now it’s time to move forward.

Our new servers will runs with AlmaLinux 8.9 and it will be converted to CloudLinux.
My test server has actual version of MariaDB already installed. I’m not sure if this is okay.
- Maybe CyberPanel wants to have a really clean server?

I couldn’t read any information, what kind of firewall is supported by CyberPanel. We need to use nftables. We use CrowdSec as an IPS and it works best with nftables.
- Does CyberPanel install a firewall?
- If yes, switching it off would be okay?

Among PHP servers, we support Java and CFML (ColdFusion powered by Lucee). This server will have Tomcat installed proxied by apache webserver. Usually ControlPanels are not really involved in this. It is more or less transparent.
- Is it possible to not allow to use PHP on this server?

I couldn’t read any information if CyberPanel installs mandatory a mail server or not. We use a dedicated server for mail.
- Can an installation of a mail server be cancelled?

Plesk offers to setup DNSSEC in the WebUI, which is really nice to use. Plesk generates the signatures/keys. I have to copy the data for entering in the form provided by the registrar. It’s really easy.
- Will CyberPanel support the management of DNSSEC in the UI in the future?

Plesk allows to enable/disable OCSP stapling and HSTS in the UI.
- Will CyberPanel support the management of OCSP and HSTS in the UI in the future?

Many thanks!

Kind regards

Hi,

and welcome to CyberPanel.

Maybe CyberPanel wants to have a really clean server

Yes MySQL mariadb cant be installed, it must be clean and better be a minimal OS.

I couldn’t read any information, what kind of firewall is supported by CyberPanel. We need to use nftables. We use CrowdSec as an IPS and it works best with nftables.

We’ve firewalld (installed by default) and csf which can be installed later.

- Is it possible to not allow to use PHP on this server?

You can remove PHP versions of LSPHP, thus php sites not working, not sure if that is what you wanted to ask.

Apart from that if any other apps be it node apps or tomcat, OpenLiteSpeed can reverse proxy to it, also you can deploy apps via docker container as well and then proxy traffic to it.

see these two resources

[Tutorial] How to use OpenLiteSpeed as Reverse Proxy server.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvnlMxgp-rM&t=1s

- Can an installation of a mail server be cancelled?

Yes during installation you can choose to not install mail server.

- Will CyberPanel support the management of DNSSEC in the UI in the future?

Yes

- Will CyberPanel support the management of OCSP and HSTS in the UI in the future?

And yes

thank you

Thank you, great news indeed!

We have several reasons why Tomcat and Apache httpd are needed: CFML is in top of Java. The AJP-connector is the link between Tomcat and Apache. Then we have a very cool module for apache, which generates a “context” for Lucee. So you don’t need to add hosts in the config file of Tomcat. So we a route from OpenLiteSpeed → Apache → Tomcat. In Plesk it’s Nginx → Apache → Tomcat. Yes, it’s a bit strange but it works perfectly and it is completely transparent for the admin.

I will document the whole thing. Maybe somebody else is interested in this.

Cheers!

So basically Tomcat we will generating responce, sending to apache and OpenLiteSpeed sending to browser?

Looking forward to it.

Yes, exactly :+1:

Unfortunately CyberPanel does not fit our needs.

Kindly explain what could be improve on ?

hello,

I’m using Plesk from 15y and I use for minor project cyberpanel. For me, cyberpanel it’s good panel but miss the stable of plesk.

1 Like

Improving day by day.