Almalinux vs RockyLinux vs Ubuntu 20.04

It works very fine for me without issues. I am running production sites on my cyberpanel almalinux server since many months now. Its proven very stable and robust for me.

And thank you for considering support to Almalinux officially.

I really look forward to the support from AlmaLinux and want a relatively stable platform for production.

1 Like

I’ve enabled Almalinux installation through the main install script. However still my testing is not yet completed. Will also update install docs to reflect it.

4 Likes

@usmannasir we need your opinion too :wink: which one you really think is better specially from side of Security and Performance? :sunglasses:

Security depends on your Apps. Does not matter which OS you use, if your apps are not secured you are bound to be hacked.

Although for years Centos ruled the servers words as cPanel was also based on Centos. However Centos charm finished as soon as Redhat discontinued it.

2 Likes

so what about performance side ?

Redhat didnt discontinued it. They turned centos to centos stream making a different route. Centos before 2021 was cloned from RHEL but with CentOS stream RHEL is now available as subscription (paid).
The community was really disappointed with this move by Redhat.

To continue the CentOS legacy, cloudlinux team forked CentOS8 and created Almalinux and promised it as forever free RHEL based distro.

CentOs co-founder later announced Rockylinux to continue the legacy of CentOs.

Almalinux and Rockylinux will replace all CentOs server users offering enterprise grade RHEL based platform.

3 Likes

Performance is better in Almalinux especially the server reboot time. I have tested in 2 production servers where I have Ubuntu 20.4 LTS and Almalinux 8.5 in another and I experienced better reboot speed in almalinux as major performance changes.
Its not just limited to boot time speed, but in general too its faster performing than with ubuntu but not major difference. The boot time though was major difference.

4 Likes

I voted for Ubuntu. I’ve used this operating system for a long time. I’ve also used CentOS. I always come back to Ubuntu. It has always been very stable for me. I still have a server with Ubuntu 16 on it, since 2016.

I think this really all boils down to personal preference in the end. All operating systems mentioned are good and can be used to achieve the same end goal.

Yes, its all user preference. If the user expects stable, high performing server-based requisites, then the Red Hat is the best option to move for. In case the user sticks with a frequently updated, user-friendly GUI system, then comparatively, Ubuntu stands well. So clearly, the need of the user affects the choice of OS.

Hi die2mrw007

I find insteresting your affirmation that Almalinux is better in performance.
I have tested Ubuntu 20 and Almalinux and I get 150 ms TTFB with Ubuntu, and 500 ms with Almalinux, same website. Both Cyberpanels fresh installed and website restored from same backup. Both servers in same cloud platform.
Did you tune your Almalinux?

TTFB depends on various factors inclusive. Which hosting provider are you using? I am using AWS.

Also I never mentioned almalinux outperforms other OS drastically. Its just a marginal difference which may not be felt in real world experience. But the boot time is indeed faster with almalinux compared to ubuntu. Obviously the main reason for faster reboot and search operations is because of lesser files in RHEL based os compared to ubuntu. Ubuntu has lot of updates, plugins, and many programs pre-installed whereas almalinux is limited with these. For example, wget and nano isnt pre-installed in almalinux.

1 Like

Well, it’s a cloud virtual machine, 4 core, 8gb ram, nmve… same provider both, same network. One with Ubuntu 20 and another with Almalinux 8.5
I like the idea to migrate to Almalinux to have less updates and more stable system, but I’m confused wit this strange performance difference. At the moment I stay with Ubuntu.

Make sure you install the minimal image of almalinux and not regular one.

1 Like

Today I’ve made another test and I thought you’d like to know.
A new provider, same VPS installed first with Almalinux and Cyberpanel.
And then with Ubuntu and Cyberpanel. Same Prestashop production site.

Ubuntu was hands down faster almost x3. TTFB 600ms (more than 500ms Firefox shows a turtle) vs 200 ms with Ubuntu.
GTMetrix was also confirming the performance difference.
I think this has nothing to do with Cyberpanel.

I’d be curious to see the same test with CentOS.

Also, the best test would be to do this on the exact same vps server, rather than just the same host. It is common for there to be performance differences between servers on the same host.

Perhaps you could either wipe/reinstall the server when you’ve completed one test, or just take a snapshot right after deploying the server, which you can restore after a test and the install the other OS.

1 Like

This seems very strange, your Linux distro shouldn’t have much effect on a sites TTFB at all, as long as the server, i.e. LiteSpeed, is set up correctly.

I know, very strange. But these are my results. Two different cloud providers, same VPS installed with Almalinux 8.5, immediately after Cyberpanel, backup restored and test. Then reinstall with Ubuntu 20 LTS and Cyberpanel and test.
I did not change anything in PHP or any other config.

Then the second provider, first Almalinux, then Ubuntu and then CentOS 8. Same VPS box. Almalinux and Cent OS showed same TTFB.

Maybe I’m forgetting something. If one of you can do some test with a Prestashop or Magento (something heavier than Wordpress)… I’d love to be wrong.

i using ubuntu

but if cyberpanel can run well at alma, i want give the try using alma, since alma was develop by cloud linux with enteprise level distro.

@usmannasir : sir… is CyberPanel can use almalinux better than ubuntu right now ?
how about the installer ?

1 Like

Sounds like a CentOS issue then. Whether it’s CentOS itself or CentOS +CyberPanel is the question. Can you install almalinux/CentOS and cyberpanel on one instance, and with a different control panel on another? Maybe directadmin or cPanel, if they have a free trial?

1 Like