3 - Cloudflare DNS Synchronization with CyberPanel

OK, thanks. So just A record, CNAME for www and MX, TXT? I am even seeing some with mail servers set up as CNAME records. And what about glue records to reduce DNS searches.
Here is one intoDNS: cyberpanel.net - check DNS server and mail server health

Coming from fully managed host, this was all done for me, but at a high price. Now I am learning how to do it myself and saving plenty along the way :sweat_smile:

To be honest never heard glue records. I have to do research on those maybe I learn somethingā€¦

1 Like

Glue records save the search to the SOA record. On my above example, I added the glue records to line #1 and #6 after I reverse searched the Cloudflareā€™s IP addresses, and entered the IPs into the content field and turned off proxy.

In this YouTube he creates glue records without mentioning them. When you create your nameservers, Cyberpanel automatically creates an A record for ns1 and ns2 to your IP. Thatā€™s what a glue record is.

So is there any new official answer? Iā€™m just started to think that CyberPanel is not as good as I thought. Firewall issues, now this. Itā€™s work but why all these records are created?

I havenā€™t heard one yet.

So what are thinking of? DM if you wish.

Not sure why thereā€™ll be official answer, I donā€™t think CyberPanel are into the DNS business, itā€™ll varies for everyone depending on what they do. But :

1- Glue record are registrar records, they donā€™t reduce DNS searches ( besides, almost every dns search are cached ) glue record exist to prevent an infinite loop : I create domain1.com with ns1.domain1.com and ns2.domain1.com at registrar X, you need to create a glue record at the registrar X so domain1.com can resolve if you donā€™t use their nameservers, otherwise nobody knows what ns1.domain1.com means.

2- Extra record donā€™t matter because they have to be queried and looked for specifically. If thereā€™s an extra mail.domain1.com that nobody use, nobody will query itā€¦ TXT and DKIM will get replaced by the third party email provider ( hopefully, if not, well you need a better third party email provider ).

I personally just AXFR ( dns zone transfer ) my dns at linode. The most annoying is the SOA serial stay always the same in cyberpanel so have to manually update it.

There is not way to remove the cloudfare integration without changing the api key in cloudfare itself. In cp I could not find a remove feature. I am removing because it keeps adding tons of mx records even though I do not choose for that.

IP:8090/dns/addDeleteDNSRecordsCloudFlare

It would be cool if it could automatically update the IP values in relevant records when a dynamic IP changes or following a server migration, which has been my #1 gripe with Plesk in the past when a server provider gives us a new IP after a few years and each DNS record on all of our domains need changing.

1 Like